The Club was founded in 1947 and has been active ever since. It is situated on the Oxenford Farm property near Elstead on the B3001, about five miles from Guildford. Membership is limited to thirty-seven. The club has two small ponds, which were originally the carp ponds of the monks who founded Waverley Abbey in 1265. These are stocked with rainbows up to four pounds. There is a fly only policy.
We also have approximately one and a quarter miles of mainly double-bank fishing on the River Wey. This is the section below Somerset Bridge, flowing through the peaceful and beautiful Peper Harow Park estate where the main part of the river fishing lies. It is fly only and the dry fly is part of the sport.
There is a reasonably good Mayfly hatch along with other olives, although declining, and sedge form part of the usual diet. Brown trout only, between 1½ lbs and 2.0 lbs, are stocked and there is a small and growing population of wild browns. We are working with the EA to try and create a self-sustaining stock by improving the habitat.
There is a voluntary catch and release policy on the river. All wild browns to be released. All rainbows landed from the ponds must be kept. No dogs are allowed due to cattle.
The Club is informal and totally unstuffy. Three work parties are held in the winter and may be followed by a de-briefing in a local hostelry.
There are no limits on the hours fished and there is a limit of four fish per day or six per week. Members are expected to join Angling Unity or the Salmon and Trout Association, the guardians of game fishing.
If anyone is interested in joining the Club or finding out more about it please contact
|Hon Secretary:||William Dyke|